Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jogging the Fetid Canals of Recife

A ritual in my new life here in Recife is an evening jog along the canal path just two blocks from my apartment building. This particular canal is one of a complex system of dozens of canals, rivers, and estuaries that cut through what was once a large mangrove forest and is now a paved urban ecosystem housing nearly two million people. This sprawling city full of islands, bridges, and waterways could theoretically be dubbed the Venice of Brazil. And Recife, which means reef, has the potential to be a beautiful gem of a city. All of the rivers flow into the Atlantic Ocean, whose white sand beaches and clear turquoise waters are stunning. Too bad the construction of a large port sealed off two significant estuaries, driving the local population of bull sharks to feed on surfers and swimmers at Recife’s beaches. After this alteration to the food chain, Recife’s beautiful- albeit somewhat crowded and garbage strewn- beaches must be enjoyed from the shore or by merely wading into the sea. With surfing and swimming prohibited, only the occasional drunk swims out beyond the reef after too many cervejas on a Sunday afternoon, tempting fate and the appetite of the bull sharks. The folks back on the beach must all be wondering, “Will he be the 48th victim?”

Luckily, while all of the smaller rivers and canals that I have seen here are nearly unmoving, algae-covered, and well, fetid, they are home to no dangerous predators that I know of. Whew! Don’t get me wrong though. This canal path jog is no walk in the woods. The obstacles I encounter on my thirty minute run are enough to keep me on my toes, running at a good clip, and constantly observing my surroundings. On the cracked and hole-filled sidewalk looping around the canal I often have to dodge the scrawny horses tied up to trees, always taking care to run beyond a horse leg’s distance away in order to avoid the kick that might result from startling the beast. The land mines the horses leave beyond are just as dangerous and require careful attention to evade. And then there are the stray dogs. Scraggly mutts of all sorts wander through the streets, expertly dodging traffic and finding their way to the canal where they might mark some trees or chase after a bitch in heat. So far I have seen none foaming at the mouth, but these dogs are not animals that I would want to stop and pet, or even brush up against accidentally.

The most dangerous of the beasts that I encounter on my canal jog is, of course, the Brazilian driver. There is no escaping traffic in this crowded crush of a city. Cars, motorcycles, and bicycles all swarm the roads and appear to have some set of rules all their own, impossible for a foreigner to decipher. Most pertinent to a pedestrian is the fact that a red light does not necessarily mean stop and wait for green. It usually serves more as a stop sign. Drivers slow down, hurriedly glance both ways for traffic, and if they decide there is enough of a break to make it through the intersection they speed across while giving the horn a honk-honk-honkity-honk. If they intend to make a turn there is no signal, just a honk that may be coded but to me sounds like every other honk from every other vehicle honking out a Morse code message of its intended path through the streets. Just imagine what this traffic is like for an urban jogger from a foreign land. When I come to either of the two intersections along my canal path I take the opportunity to intensify my work-out by breaking out into a full-out sprint to the other side once I see a slight break in traffic and work up the courage. Mine is a similar approach to that of the drivers at red lights.

Despite the stench of the canal and the above mentioned obstacles to be found in the one mile or so loop of the canal path, I am joined by dozens of other joggers and walkers every evening, looping around and around until it is so dark that that cracks in the unlit sidewalk pose a much more serious danger. From my experience in three Brazilian cities, urbanites love their exercise. Salvador, MaceiĆ³, and Recife all have numerous “urban gyms” or areas with a jogging path, bike path, exercise bars, and the like. Brazilians, mostly appearing to be a of a certain social class and age, love to take to these urban gyms with their friends and spend the few slightly cooler hours of the day getting fit. On my canal path, just before sunset (5:30), I am accompanied on my jog by just enough other walkers and runners to not feel either isolated or overcrowded.

The path is also used as a pedestrian thoroughfare through the neighborhood, meaning that every evening there might also be mothers with several children hanging onto her skirt, and grocery bags in her arms. Older folks from the neighborhood set up plastic chairs in the grass between the canal and sidewalk to enjoy the cool evening breeze. Barefooted and bare-chested boys race and ride their bikes along the bike path. All sorts of people seem to come out of the word-work during my evening jogs, showing me just what an interesting and diverse neighborhood I live in. It appears to be somewhat of a transitional neighborhood. The new eight-story apartment building that I live in is one of the only tall and recently built buildings in the area. It is mostly surrounded by smallish houses, stores, and warehouses. The street I live on, Shrimp Avenue (it probably got this name because it was once a mangrove forest with a shrimp farm), is paved in the section closest to the main road, but covered in sand in the section closest to the canal. I enjoy living in this interesting neighborhood, even if I haven’t quite figured it out yet. Is this an example of Brazilian gentrification? I would ask my host family about it, but they tend to give me short answers to such questions, either assuming that I wouldn’t understand, or that as a privileged foreigner I don’t really want to know (or can’t handle?) the truth.

The mysteries of my neighborhood, my neighbors, and the sand-covered road all make my jog that much more enjoyable. As I run my mind flows between meditation and reflection on everything that I’m seeing, learning, and experiencing here; the harsh realities; the beauty and inspiration; the day’s new Portuguese vocabulary; and wondering what this canal was like when it was not a fetid canal but part of a healthy mangrove ecosystem. Thirty years ago? Fifty? One hundred? Who knows.


 Big bad Recife

 
Recife and its bridges

Disclaimer: Photos poached from Wikipedia

No comments:

Swimming hole

Swimming hole
Nate, David, and me at the local swimming hole

Climbing

Climbing
David climbing at the swimming hole near our house. This is the location of my first rock-climbing lesson.

Beautiful Miraflor

Beautiful Miraflor
a home in Miraflor with the nature reserve and mountains beyond

Waterfall jumping!

Waterfall jumping!
sweet swimming hole in Miraflor

Catching chicharras in Miraflor

Catching chicharras in Miraflor
We spent half the day in Miraflor catching bugs in the trees with this awesome kid

Parasite tree in Miraflor, Nicaragua

Parasite tree in Miraflor, Nicaragua
this parasite killed the tree inside it over 200 years ago, now you can climb it inside and out, as David and these Nicaraguan kids

Sunset

Sunset
sunset at Las Penitas, Nicaragua

Howler monkeys

Howler monkeys
a family of howler monkeys on Omotepe

Omotepe

Omotepe
Concepcion, one of the volcanos that makes up the island of Omotepe in Lake Nicaragua

In the jungle...

In the jungle...
with Nathan and Crystal (visiting from Michigan) in the jungles of Claudio Barillo National Park

Hammock time

Hammock time
Crazy photo of Andrea and me hanging out in the hammock at my house

Charging in Dominical

Charging in Dominical
After getting worked I went after some of these smaller waves which turned out to be a lot of fun

Gotta love waterproof cameras

Gotta love waterproof cameras
taking surfing pics in the water at Dominical

Attempting backside in Dominical

Attempting backside in Dominical
I'm attempting to work on my backside here in Costa Rica

The "Cool Bus"

The "Cool Bus"
Chilling in the Cool Bus in Dominical

La Selva Biological Station

La Selva Biological Station
Venturing into the jungle

Ladro Ladies!

Ladro Ladies!
In Manuel Antonio with Andrea and Sheena

David and Lynn Manuel Antonio

David and Lynn Manuel Antonio
David and me hiking (and swimming) though Manuel Antonio National Park

Volcan Poaz

Volcan Poaz
Posing with the smoking crater of the beautiful Poaz

Cute huh?

Cute huh?
David and me having a couple of beers at a surfers bar in Playa Hermosa

Surfing accident #1

Surfing accident #1
A minor bruise from getting Sheena's leash caught around my arm while she was learning to surf at Jaco

Surfing accident #2

Surfing accident #2
2 days after the incident in Jaco I broke my board in half trying to surf at low tide in Manuel Antonio

Surfing Playa Cocles

Surfing Playa Cocles
my first time out surfing in Costa Rica. I was pretty pumped